Saturday, May 19, 2012

Things never go according to plan, do they?

Since we learned that Erik had an opportunity to spend some time working in England this year, we have talked about all sorts of things we wanted to do and see in Europe.  We came up with a list of must-see places in the UK and a wish list of destinations in other European countries that we'd like to make it to if time allowed.  One place that did not make our list was Frimley Park Hospital, yet we have seen quite a bit of it this week.

Before I get anyone too worried, we are all ok.  But one of us has been better.  Before we left home, Erik got some poison ivy on his knee at a soccer game (back where it was warm enough to wear shorts).  Somehow during the week, the rash got infected.  On Wednesday night, Erik went to the emergency room, assuming they would give him some antibiotics and send him home.  Instead, they admitted him, started him on IV antibiotics, and he has been in the hospital ever since.  This is night four of Erik in the hospital, bored out of his mind,  and night four of me solo-parenting in a foreign country where I don't know a single soul outside of my immediate family.  Let's just say things could be a lot better.

Erik has cellulitis, a bacterial infection of the skin.  The doctors took samples of the bacteria in his leg and are culturing them out to see what kind of bacteria they are and which antibiotics they will respond to the best.  The doctor who visited today said she does think the antibiotics he is on now are working, but his leg still looks like a mess, and it isn't clearing up as quickly as we would like.  The good news is that he feels good, aside from an itchy, oozy leg.  I did take pictures, but I won't gross you out with the gory details.  Instead, here's a photo of the hospital.


Here's what we've learned from this experience so far.  

1) British hospitals are very different from American ones.  Rather than having a doctor assigned to his case, Erik sees a different doctor every day.  He is in a room with 6 beds (though currently only 4 patients) and no privacy.  You have to pay to use the TV or the telephone.  There is little information communicated, and everyone seems very busy all the time.  The food stinks.  Yesterday, Erik was served a ham and cream cheese sandwich on white bread with mayo.  Visiting hours on weekdays are from 6:30-8:30 PM only.  On the plus side, the ER was pretty drama-free, unlike the ER experiences we have had at home.

2) I don't like driving on the opposite side of the road-- AT ALL.  I can do it when I have to (to visit Erik at the hospital), but it's very stressful.  Every time we get in the car, I ask the kids, "What do we do when Mommy drives the car in England?"  They reply in unsion, "Be quiet!" They have been very good about keeping quiet as I try to navigate the tiny, narrow, winding streets and roundabouts with poor signage, probably because I'm talking to myself the whole time about where I'm going and whether or not I'm too close to the curb or the car in the next lane.  It's very disconcerting to sit on the wrong side of the car.

3) We should never take for granted the friends and family we have at home.  It's kind of rough trying to navigate a new country, deal with an unplanned hospital stay/health issue, and have no one to turn to for child care, moral support, or company.  I made a couple of very expensive phone calls yesterday to hear some friendly voices and get my dad's advice on Erik's treatment.  

Meanwhile, the kids and I are trying to get out on foot to see what's nearby.  Today we got a library card and borrowed some books and DVDs from the tiny Sunninghill Library.  A very nice lady who worked there told us about some kids activities nearby, including a zoo we hadn't heard about.  A couple of days ago, when the sun was shining, we ventured out to the local playground, which the kids loved.  Here are some pictures of that outing.





No Big Ben, London Eye, Picadilly Circus, Buckingham Palace, British Museum, or Tower of London yet, but we hope to get there soon.  Please think good thoughts for Erik or say a prayer if that's your thing.  We want him home soon.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Kate, I'm sorry! Already quite the adventure, but I hope it gets better soon. Good thoughts, for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Kate. Prayers for all of you. Sounds like a good thing you went to the hospital when you did.

    Hang in there - Erik will be home soon...

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, how awful and scary. I'm sorry to hear about Erik's infection and the attendant issues that you are facing. I completely understand about the far-from-home-and-comfort pieces. Something that has been a lifesaver for us (as well as a bank-account-saver) has been to use Skype for phone calls. You add something like $10 to your Skype account and then pick "call a number", then type in the phone number and you pay 2 cents a minute to talk. We have used that for emergency family calls, stupid calls to the bank or other officials who won't talk to my mom (who has POA), etc. In case you need to make more phone calls, consider that...

    I'll be thinking of all of you this week! Love, Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, Malcolm and Sorin, (and Erik)

    The kids were sad to hear that Mr. Hembre was in the hospital. They all hope he gets better so he can spend more time with the family. The kids said "EWWWWWW gross" when you described that sandwich. I wished I could quickly send him something from home. Gus G. and many others would like to know what it tasted like!!

    We miss you all....especially Malcolm. Mrs. Cheesebourough and I are very proud of the boys for following directions well. It is a very stressful time to be on the wrong side of the car as well as the wrong side of the street.

    Do you have Skype? I was wondering if that would be possible. It might not be due to the time difference!! The kids talk about him daily and we often wonder what you all are up to. We got on Google Earth and probably saw the exact street you live on. It didn't recognaize the name of your flat though.

    Take care!!

    Love to all and get better Mr. Hembre,

    From Malcolm's US Class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS. I knew I should have squeezed into Malcolm's suitcase so that I could be babysitting right now and you could be with Erik!! Maybe next time!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember not liking driving on the other side of the road when I visited my sister in Thailand, but it got easier after a few times. In Thailand you also have the added challenge of dealing with hundreds of mopeds and motorcycles with families of 4 crammed on each one (none of which wore helmets), zooming in and around all lanes of cars.

    Hope Erik is out of the hospital by now!!

    Big hugs...
    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooohh, yikes!
    I was just sitting down for a nice afternoon of seeing what was happening on the other side of the pond...not expecting this unhappiness....huge bummer. So sorry the beginning is this rough.

    ReplyDelete